background

Monday, November 14, 2011

Thanksgiving Shopping List

My shopping list for Thanksgiving is always extremely lengthy.  I make everything homemade, so there is no boxed stuffing, jarred gravy, canned veggies, or cellophane wrapped pies.  Everything is made from scratch!  Some call me crazy, others call me ambitious, while most just keep their mouths shut to not anger the chef.  Here is a glimpse into my shopping list, actually it is the entire list broken out by recipe.  I go to three different stores at most, but try to get the majority of my items from the West Side Market here in Cleveland.  It's an amazing shopping venue and a mecca here in the Cleveland area.  This place has everything..produce, meats, dairy, desserts, seafood, spices, homemade crepes, coffee, nuts, flowers, candy, plus much much more!!!  I love going there.

The tradition has been for me to meet up with my mom at the little restaurant there at 7:00 AM and get some breakfast.  Then the fun begins.  After three cups of coffee, a good breakfast, and a run through on what I need to buy we are off to get the turkey.  This always comes first because the line gets horrendous the longer you wait.  The turkeys are farm raised and fresh (I have never bought a frozen turkey and I never will).  If you have never had a fresh turkey, I suggest trying it once.  It is completely different from a frozen...from taste to juiciness to quality, it's the best the choice.  After the turkey is bought its on to all of the other vendors for my goods. I will post pics of my visit and snap various shots of the vendors I use...this way if you are in the Cleveland area you can check them out!


Thanksgiving Shopping List
Bottle Virgin Olive Oil
Celery (stalks)--3,3
Carrots--3
Onion--1,1,2
White Mushrooms (ounces)--8
Bay Leaves--2,6
Black Peppercorns--2t,
Thyme (bunch)--1/2, 1T,1
Parsley Sprigs--12,
Course Salt--2T, 1 1/2c
Dried Porcini Mushrooms--1c,
Slab Bacon--1/2 pound,
Leek:  1
Garlic Clove--1,6,15,3
Sweet Italian Sausage--3/4 pound
Chestnuts--2c
Loaf of Italian Bread
Bottle Dry Riesling
Fresh Turkey
Unsalted Butter (stick)--1,1,1,1, 1/4 pound
Brussel Sprouts--2 pounds
Curry Powder--1/2t
Lemon--1,1
Russet Potatoes--4 pounds
Salted Butter (stick)--1
1/2 Gallon Whole Milk
Broccoli Rabe--2 bunches
Sliced Almonds--1/2c
Gingersnap Cookies
Sugar
Eggs
15oz Can Packed Pumpkin
Heavy Cream--1 1/4c,1/2 pint
Pie Crust (I hate making crust so I do buy this pre made)--2,1
Granny Smith Apples--12
Eggs
Brown Sugar
Toffee Bits
Pecans--1c chopped, 22 halves, 1 1/4c
Active Dry Yeast--2
Flour
Sweet Potatoes--6
Cranberries
Orange
cheese cloth
white wine to serve
apple cider
special coffee
half and half

No comments:

Post a Comment